remote X desktop, xdm
Robert Citek
2005-01-08 18:22:26 UTC
How can I bring up a remote X desktop on a local machine running an X
server?

I have xdm and Xfce installed on a remote Linux box. I also have an
X11 server running on my Mac OS/X. How can I connect to the xdm that
is running on the remote box?

I've been following these directions:

http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/XDMCP-HOWTO/procedure.html

of which the last lines state:

"Setup Hummingbird Exceed (or other X Client software) to either query
this machine (using the IP address or fully qualified DNS name) or set
to use XDMCP-Broadcast and try to connect to the X Server. You should
see the X Session come up and the login screen appear."

So, how do I query the machine? Do I start an xterm on they local X
server? If so, what then?

BTW, ssh'ing to the linux box and remotely displaying an xterm works
just fine:

[***@mac] $ ssh -f -X ***@192.168.0.214 xterm

Still googling.

Regards,
- Robert
http://www.cwelug.org/downloads
Help others get OpenSource. Distribute FLOSS for
Windows, Linux, *BSD, and MacOS X with BitTorrent
JT Moree
2005-01-10 15:32:10 UTC
believed to be clean.
Rex Nelson
2005-01-10 16:50:11 UTC
Post by JT Moree

| How can I bring up a remote X desktop on a local machine running an X
| server?
| So, how do I query the machine? Do I start an xterm on they local X
| server? If so, what then?
Its been a while but I think it's
X -indirect <IPaddres> or
X -query <IPAddress>
one of them i think does NOT require the IP and does a broadcast query.
ONe thing to note. EVERYTHING is in the CLEAR. all passwords and
traffic while using this method. The X11 protocol is connecting
directly over the network from machine to machine.
Can you use ssh to log into a machine and use screen to attach to a
screen session on the remote system - thus "tunneling" ?
--
Rex Nelson Ph.D.
Postdoctoral Scientist
***@iastate.edu
Robert Citek
2005-01-10 17:19:21 UTC
Post by Rex Nelson
Can you use ssh to log into a machine and use screen to attach to a
screen session on the remote system - thus "tunneling" ?
Yes. And that works well for text-based terminal sessions. However, I
haven't used it for X11 sessions. Can screen be used for X11? If so,
how?

JT Moree
2005-01-10 17:21:21 UTC
believed to be clean.
Robert Citek
2005-01-10 17:22:01 UTC
Post by JT Moree
Its been a while but I think it's
X -indirect <IPaddres> or
X -query <IPAddress>
one of them i think does NOT require the IP and does a broadcast query.
Tried this from the Mac:

/Applications/X11.app/Contents/MacOS/X11 -query 192.168.0.214

but it didn't work. I forgot what the message was.
Post by JT Moree
ONe thing to note. EVERYTHING is in the CLEAR. all passwords and
traffic while using this method. The X11 protocol is connecting
directly over the network from machine to machine.
That's ok. For now it's just for me so that I can work on a remote
headless machine to customize the desktop.

JT Moree
2005-01-10 18:18:48 UTC
believed to be clean.
Robert Citek
2005-01-10 18:37:36 UTC
Post by JT Moree
did you try -indirect?
No, I didn't. Unfortunately, it'll probably have to wait until I come
back from the PAG conference to try again.

As a slight alternative, this works, sort of:

ssh -X ***@192.168.0.214
startxfce4 &

This "sort of" works because everything shows up as a separate X
window: the titlebar, the desktop, the menus, etc.

JT Moree
2005-01-12 00:00:38 UTC
believed to be clean.
Robert Citek
2005-01-12 00:38:48 UTC
Post by JT Moree
i think on OS X the x server was hacked by apple manage the windows
seperately so you did not need a window manager running from the server.
look for an option to osX x server for not managing windows.
Will do.
Post by JT Moree
or Dont run xfce. just run the apps.
I could. But then that won't help me configure a desktop.